Once again, SMUD, along with the PEV Collaborative Best.Drive.EVer., featured an all-electric ride and drive where CA State Fair attendees were able to drive the latest in electric vehicle technology. “It’s a no-pressure, no-hassle opportunity at no charge,” according to the Sac Auto Show.
The test drive event ran July 20-22nd at the California State Fair; drivers were allowed to drive as many vehicles as they wanted. Vehicles featured were: BMW i3, Audi e-Tron, VW e-golf and the MINI Countryman courtesy of Niello; Nissan Leaf courtesy of Nissan of Sacramento; Kia Optima courtesy of Folsom Lake Kia; Ford Focus and Ford C-MAX courtesy of Folsom Lake Ford; Chevy Volt and Chevy Spark courtesy of Kuni Chevrolet.
Drivers had to produce a valid driver’s license and be at least 18 years of age, complete a Waiver of Liability and pass a Breathalyzer Test.
Participants had the opportunity to learn more about electric cars, charging options, purchase incentives, carpool lane stickers and more. SMUD also offered free charging to anyone who arrived at the State Fair in an electric car.
- Ride-and-drives: 356
- Available for test drive: BMW i3; Ford C-MAX Energi and Fusion Energi; KIA Soul EV and Optima Plug-in Hybrid; MINI Countryman Plug-in Hybrid; Nissan LEAF; Volkswagen e-Golf
- Static displays: BMW 740e XDrive Plug-in Hybrid; Nissan LEAF; Audi e-tron
- 60% of survey respondents had no experience with electric cars
- Prior to the drive, 76% of respondents had a very or somewhat positive perception of electric cars, increasing to 93% after the drive
The PEV Collaborative’s Best.Ride.EVer! 2017 campaign is traveling to 13 California cities in 2017, providing free plug-in electric vehicle test-drives to consumers. Mark your calendar for these events, with more details coming soon:
- Aug. 19: Harborfest, Chula Vista
- Aug. 20: East Palo Alto
- Aug. 21: Turtle Bay Discovery Park, Redding
- Sept. 9: Santa Cruz
- Sept. 14: Thousand Oaks
- Oct. 9: Tehachapi Apple Festival
- Nov. 5: Ontario
Visit www.pevcollaborative.org/PEV-Ride-and-Drive-Series for more information.