Automotive OEM Support Engineer
This key engineering position will provide engineering services in the innovation of new, cutting-edge electrical products, including all stages of the product development life cycle: design, implementation, certification, testing, manufacturing, and continued support engineering. This position will provide direct support to the Engineering or Manufacturing teams as assigned in relation to our automotive OEM customers. ClipperCreek is an OEM supplier to several automakers and this engineering position is right on the cutting edge of industry leading product development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Responsible for supporting the OEM engineering team.
2. Responsible for developing and testing of electronic products
3. Builds, calibrates and repairs test fixtures for production & engineering departments.
4. Creates and updates test procedures for production and engineering departments.
5. Responsible for critical component selection to match product capability requirements
6. Assists in training production staff on test procedures.
7. Responsible for production builds for select specialty products.
8. Works with engineering and production department with tasks and projects on an as needed basis.
9. Maintains a positive and proactive attitude at all times.
10. Performs all other relevant duties and assignments as directed by the Engineering Director or Manufacturing Director depending on the assigned position.
11. Responsible for failure analysis of test units and field returns to improve product reliability and reduce reject rate.
12. Work and communicate regularly with automotive customers and contract manufacturers to guide new products through the Production Part Approval Process (PPAP).
13. Compile and report International Material Data System (IMDS) reports to meet customer and legislative requirements.
14. Compile and report Conflict Mineral Reports (CMRT) to meet customer and legislative requirements.
15. Perform Worse Case Circuit Analysis (WCAA) to confirm product is within specification parameters
16. Vendor inventory control by managing NCNRs with Director over sight.
17. Assist accounting by monitoring and reporting on tariff costs.
18. Responsible for supporting sustaining engineering projects.
19. Estimating material, labor costs, and project timescales.
20. Evaluate and update product BOMS.
21. Review supplier capabilities to support development.
22. Selects components and equipment based on analysis of specifications and reliability.
23. Understand all processes related to manufacturability inclusive of:
a. Solder reflow and wave solder
b. Automated part placement
c. PCB fabrication
24. Provide manufacturability feedback to engineering team on a consistent basis.
25. Review and provide input for industry standards development
26. Manage ongoing part updates and find replacements for obsolete parts.
27. Making sure products meet electrical safety regulations.
28. Communication of detailed analyses through clear and concise presentations to engineering team.
29. Write technical reports & documentation.
30. Responsible for production builds for select specialty products.
31. Work with engineering and production department with tasks and projects on an as needed basis.
32. Assists in new technology research.
33. Maintains a positive and proactive attitude at all times.
34. Performs all other relevant duties and assignments as directed by the Director of Manufacturing or the Director of Engineer depending on the assigned position.
1. Engineering Technical Capacity
3. Problem Solving/Analysis
4. Performance Management
6. Communication Proficiency
7. Project Management
8. Ethical Conduct
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be handling circuit boards and wiring with hazardous one or three-phase AC line voltage (110-120VAC and 200-240VAC) present. The employee will follow all training instructions and safety precautions to avoid potentially dangerously electric shock.
Electrostatic discharge (ESD) will damage sensitive electronic components. This job will require the use of static control precautions when handling printed circuit boards and components.
The employee may use hand tools and power tools which, if handled improperly, may cause bodily injury.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts on the production floor and may need to work in an environment where the noise level could be moderately loud. Proper eye and ear protection will be provided by the employer and must be worn when necessary.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear.
2. The employee must be able to sit for extended periods of time, talking on the telephone and work with a computer, technical equipment and key boards.
3. The employee must have the physical ability to do work that occasionally requires bending and stooping.
4. The employee must have sufficient physical strength necessary to lift and carry 30 lbs.
5. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. This position may require long hours and weekend work.
Minimal, < 5%
Required Education and Experience
1. 4+ years as an electrical engineer, BSEE or equivalent
2. Professional customer interface and support skills
3. Circuit troubleshooting experience
4. Knowledge of op-amp analog and digital circuits, processors and transistors
5. Experience with AC line voltage circuitry, contactors, relays, switching power supplies
6. Knowledge of schematic capture, PCB layout, spreadsheets and presentations
7. Documentation experience including procedures, drawings and BOM management
8. Familiarity with SAE & UL standards & certification process(preferably EVSE standards)
9. Understanding of supply chain management, worst case analysis and design validation
10. Knowledge of manufacturing validation procedures
11. Strong understanding of documentation including procedures, drawings and BOM management
12. Ability to work independently and manage several challenging projects simultaneously.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
1. Experience in automotive OEM customer engineering support
2. Familiarity with SAE and UL EVSE standards and certification process
3. Knowledge and/or experience with automated test equipment
4. PPAP, IMDS, 8D and 5 Why’s, and automotive supply chain experience
5. Understanding of the definition and test of embedded systems – microcontrollers and communications
6. Experience with critical component selection to match product capability requirements
7. Understanding of EMC/EMI, vibration, shock, and/or thermal testing of electronic products
8. Understanding of schematic capture, PCB layout
ClipperCreek® offers many employee benefits inclusive of medical, dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, an employee assistance program (EAP) and free work place car charging. Salaries are competitive and based on experience, responsibility, and performance.